Possible Computer Repair Scam?

Jetsu

Okay, I’ll try and keep this brief while getting in all the details. Around October or November my laptop screen cracked to the extent that it was affecting the actual display, so I brought it in to a computer repair shop to get it fixed. The repair was about $80 and the part had been ordered and replaced within a week, but I got back home and found that now the screen wasn’t displaying anything at all. I was naturally pretty frustrated, because this indicated that https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/ they didn’t even try to boot up the laptop to see if it was working after they put in the new screen. Figuring it would be as simple as hooking up a loose wire or something I brought it back in and had them look at it again. They said the part they ordered must have been faulty so they held on to my laptop and ordered a new one. I thought it was a little weird that a brand new part wouldn’t work, but I didn’t push the situation any further figuring the problem would be fixed by the end of the week.
After a couple weeks I started to get worried about how long it was taking, especially since the first time they ordered the part it came within a few days, so I called back to check in. He told me that he was still waiting for the part to come in and that it should be in within the next few days. Months have passed since then, and every week or two I call back to check in and I’m fed the same response. Every time he tells me that the part will be in “any day now” or “tomorrow” yet it never seems to arrive. At one point a few weeks back he claimed to have actually gotten the part in, only for that one not to work either.
I’ve kept my cool through the situation, but I’ve still been sure to get increasingly stern with them so they know I’m not going to let them off the hook. There was one call about a month ago where I outright confronted them about their behavior (in a calm but stern tone) and he IMMEDIATELY got defensive and told me that “he wasn’t going to be ‘threatened’ in his own store,” even though, once again, I didn’t say ANYTHING other than “I’m gonna be real, you guys are acting really weird and I’m starting to get suspicious.”
Through this whole situation I’ve held on to the possibility that they are a legitimate business, so I’ve tried to avoid antagonizing them or losing my temper, but even if they are legit, they’re still acting extremely shady, right? If there’s some kind of problem holding them up, why lie about it? Why not just tell me? Why would they send out a “fixed” laptop without even checking if they actually fixed it? Why in the name of god would a simple repair take four+ months to resolve?
I’m planning on going up there sometime with my partner that way we can confront them in-person about the ordeal and to make sure that they haven’t pawned off my laptop or something, but I’m hesitant to do so for fear that things might escalate.
I need outside opinions on this, I need to know if I’m overreacting or if I’m being unfair. It feels like I’ve been on a wild goose chase and I’m exhausted. I’m currently in the process of looking for a new job, and having to do everything over mobile is extremely cumbersome. I just want my laptop back, and I’m starting to worry that I might not see it again, or that at best I’ll lose $80 and have a still broken laptop thrown back out. What do you guys think?

Last edited: